Contract type: Temporary
Within the context of the EU funded project INERA “Research and Innovation Capacity Strengthening of ISSP-BAS in Multifunctional Nanostructures” (http://www.inera.org), the Institute of Solid State Physics (ISSP) at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS) is looking to hire a Postdoctoral fellow on implementation of impedance spectroscopy technique in the field of soft matter physics.
ISSP is a leading Bulgarian research institute in the field of solid matter research and its applications into multifunctional nanostructures. The project INERA is an important mean for ISSP to rapidly increase its human and technological capacities, to reinforce its local networks and to deepen its partnerships on a European scale. It will mainly consist in an upgrade of equipment, scientific mobility trainings in leading EU research centres, life-long trainings, partnership deepening and dissemination activities. The main expected project outcome for ISSP is to provide a new interdisciplinary view, to establish new links for common research and to encourage future synergies on national and international levels.
The work will be focused on mastering and utilization of modern equipment in the field of complex impedance analysis of nanostructured and bioactive liquid crystals. The overall activity will require intense interactions with theoretical and other experimental research groups. It will involve:
- utilization of impedance spectroscopy methods to provide dielectric characterization and frequency response analysis of anisotropic liquids (liquid crystals) in relation to the structure of boundary surfaces, effect of confinement, interaction with the environment etc.;
- impedance spectroscopy study of micro and nano-materials, membranes, polymer materials, liquid crystals, and other types of soft matter;
- developing and conducting laboratory experiments in a team environment via strong collaboration with members and colleagues in a goal-driven development effort;
- presentation of ideas and results in effective technical performance, preparation of project reports, writing original and review papers and contributing to research proposals;
- presenting results at meetings and conferences.
The Postdoctoral position is limited to 15.07.2016.
An internationally competitive salary, dependent on experience, will be offered.
PhD degree in physics or physical chemistry – soft matter physics; anisotropic liquids, liquid crystals, applied physics, experience in research in relevant areas of experimental exploration; strong publication record; hands-on experience working with Impedance Analyzer. Programming skills (Labview, Matlab, etc) and expertise with experimental techniques would be a great asset. Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
Application documents: CV, list of publications, names and contact e-mail of two potential referees
Application e-mail address: email@example.com
Application Deadline: 06/08/2015
Envisaged Job Starting Date: 01/10/2015